Originally the house was numbered 379 Junius Street. (The numbering changed in the early part of the 1900’s.) A Building Permit (Permit #888) was granted on July 13, 1905 with an estimated building cost of $4,500. The house was built for Dr. Garfield Hackler, Professor of Surgery at University of Dallas (later known as Baylor Medical College) and Chief Surgeon at Baylor Hospital.
The house had other owners until 1944, when Robert and Sammie Franks moved to Dallas from southwest Texas and purchased 4125 Junius Street. Robert Franks was a barber. Sammie Franks was a saleswoman at A. Harris and Co. Mrs. Franks rented rooms to young women from the telephone company.
It was called “The Colonial, a Boarding House for Young Ladies.” Robert Franks passed away in 1951, and Mrs. Franks continued to live here until her death in 2001.
After Mrs. Franks’ death at the age of 92, Craig Penfold purchased the property on April 1, 2001. Dan Tucker assisted Mr. Penfold in restoring the house to reflect the original design and grandeur. The woodwork has been stripped, stained and returned to its original beauty. The pocket doors were reworked and the fireplace in the Formal Parlor has been restored.
The renovation resulted in the creation of a Bed and Breakfast. “The Corinthian” was the only suitable name for the Bed and Breakfast because of the beautiful Corinthian columns across the front porch. These columns, the most ornate of the fine classical orders, are characterized by a slender, fluted column, having a bell-shaped capital decorated with acanthus leaves.
We are eager to make your stay at The Corinthian Bed and Breakfast memorable, relaxing and fun. Our Inn is a non-smoking, adults only, no pets facility.